Friday, December 21, 2007

SHAGging in Public

Get crafty for a second with me. Take out your scissors, glue and crayons. Carefully cut the SH off of the end of Josh. Then, cut off the AG at the beginning of Agle. Glue the two pieces together, add a few select solid, vibrant colors and you end up with SHAG, the artist behind some of the most ultra-cool retro-modern works you’re ever going to see. At last Friday’s Roq La Rue gallery opening, I was treated to an exceptionally thrilling new show of SHAG art titled Motorino.

Photo by Dan10ThingsI’ve admired SHAG’s work for years, buying stationary sets, post cards, wrapping paper and even personalized checks with his art on them. So seeing him in person wearing an adorable little leopard spotted fez as he mingled with the crowd made my palms sweat with nervous admiration. Had I not already been trying as hard as possible to maintain some semblance of composure while standing in between two other artists I also totally adore, pin up artist Krysztof Nemeth and photographer Rob Butler, I might’ve worked up the courage to introduce myself—but not this time.

Introductions or not, I really enjoyed the exhibit. Seeing original works of art is always thrilling to me. It is SHAG’s crisp, clean lines and brilliant colors that catch my eye first. And when I look deeper into the work, I find myself becoming involved in the scenario displayed before me. More often than not, I seem to want to climb right into the painting, have someone pour me a drink in a tiki glass and hop on the back of a scooter for a ride through the jungle.

No comments: